Writing and Public Speaking
Aspen Academy Middle School students produce writing that is mindful and adept in personal, academic, and professional settings. Our students learn about a variety of communication genres including:
- critique, descriptive, expository, opinion, personal, persuasive, poetry, figurative language, problem solving writing and presentations
- short story/play and presentations
- historical, political and science biographies, presentations and research reports.
- MLA standard research reports
- news articles and submissions to professional periodicals
- timed response to open-ended questions (in preparation for standardized testing)
- digital communication.
We are committed to develop writers who:
- write for a variety of purposes and across all content areas
- understand the writing process from planning to publishing
- accurately edit and assess writing
- have a clear voice, are understandable and convincing in their writing, and can impact the reader on an emotional level
- write with efficiency of purpose
- are comfortable as dynamic presenters and speakers