Our Fifth through Eighth grade students read a variety of literature providing them with the opportunity to seek out and appreciate the voice of others, while mastering their own. Students read for research, in-depth analysis, instruction, inspiration, and pleasure.
Students at Aspen Academy trend toward advanced reading and comprehension.
Our exceptional readers:
- understand how to synthesize and analyze sources for meaning and persuasion
- read to benefit from the insight of others and to explore other cultures and beliefs.
- identify, discuss and rectify the ambiguity of meaning and the cognitive dissonance it creates
- have intelligent dialogue regarding the text
- can identify bias
- recognize language devices and their power to invoke emotion and action
- explore ethical complexities; to see the admirable in everyday life
- read to build vocabulary and further develop mastery of language.
- use reading as a fundamental tool to pursue their personal passions and interests.