Return to Campus: Update 5/12/2020
We are all so grateful for your partnership and resolve as we’ve ventured into this unique COVID-19 journey. Your trust, support, and confidence in Aspen Academy to be discerning, prepared, and to always have the health, wellness, and progress of our students at the forefront of our minds as well as hearts. We recognize the personal, familial, and economic challenges that many are feeling and experiencing. Our community has come together with a level of determination and positive pragmatism that has simply been outstanding individually and as a collective.
The Governor has announced that summer camp regulations and guidelines will be posted in the next couple weeks.
Provided we can secure the clearance to do so from Tri-County Health as currently mandated by the state, Aspen Academy will host Dream Big Day Camp sessions beginning July 6. Dream Big Day Camp will adhere to all required state and local health agency mandates.
Preparations are also being made for Aspen Academy’s Annual Summer Academic Kickstart Camps, and more information will follow in the next several weeks.
Opening for summer camps will allow us to phase in a campus opening, in order to build and refine processes and procedures in order to be prepared for the August start of school.
2020-2021 School Year
We are preparing to open for school as scheduled on August 26 for the 2020-2021 school year. The Governor’s office, Tri-County Health and other regulatory agencies have expressed support and realize that our world must return to our normal lives and work -- albeit a new normal -- to keep the virus at bay through effective personal, social and disinfecting protocol.
That preparation will include, but not be limited to:
- Purchasing additional furniture and barriers in order to achieve the current distancing regulations in classrooms as well as individual lower school student buckets for cubbies and individual student supply cases for their learning utensils.
- Securing adequate health, cleaning, disinfectant and social distancing materials and equipment including but not limited to 45 thermal temperature scanners, electrostatic foggers, 60 hands free hand sanitizer dispensers, etc.
- Additional playground installation. As you all know, our gala, originally scheduled for last month, was focused on raising the funds to expand and re-develop the north side playground. The current equipment on that playground is more than 20 years old and, for safety reasons, needed to be retired. We do not have a choice. Despite that we couldn’t hold the gala and fundraiser for it, we need to replace that playground not only because the equipment needs to be retired, but also because we need to create an additional segregated playground space in order to meet current government ordered max group sizes in classes and also at recess. Ergo, with 400 students, we’ll need to schedule 45 separate recesses for the students and, as such, we’ll need to be able to expand and segregate recess spaces in order to satisfy the mandates and keep everyone healthy.
- COVID-19 Campus Process and Procedures: There are a myriad of details to operationalize for every school around the world. We are in touch with several international schools who are ahead of the U.S. in opening their campuses again, and we will learn from and implement processes and procedures to ensure the health and well-being of everyone on campus.
- Hyper-Flex Education: None of us knows when the vaccine or more effective treatment for COVID-19 will be discovered and distributed to the world. As a result, the successful agility, planning and preparation that Aspen Academy has come to be known for especially in this period, will continue to be the standard to which we hold ourselves. We are working with experts and planning for every possible contingency as we move forward towards and into the next school year.
Over the next couple months, we will continue to keep you abreast of our plans and preparations to get our kiddos back on campus and in class, on the stage, playground, sport courts, fields, and labs. We will consult with experts and with you. Again, your voice, perspective and wisdom is critically important to us. Always feel free to reach out to me directly with your thoughts, suggestions or questions by emailing me, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our collective commitment will be to maintaining a healthy school and to work diligently together to keep the COVID-19 virus off the campus as well as to supporting the emotional health of each member of our student body in order to continue the onward march of developing each of our children in such a way that they reach their full potential on all fronts.