- Health and Wellness
March 5 - Update on Health & Prevention
We are committed to supporting the health and wellbeing of our entire school community and appreciate the central role you play in that effort.
Here’s what we are doing at the school to actively prevent the spread of germs and viruses:
- Classrooms and all common spaces, including the kitchen and clinic, are disinfected on a daily basis (and more frequently in a number of spaces) and is in alignment with our Green Ribbon School initiatives.
- Nightly janitorial services address common space (door handles, cafeteria, halls, egress doors, etc.) cleaning and disinfection.
- Throughout the school, we have reminders to take a break for handwashing as well as adding signage in the bathrooms for appropriate hand washing.
- If necessary, please re-familiarize yourself with the sick child policy and communicable disease notice in our Family and Student Guidebook and keep your students home if they are sick.
Combating Misinformation & Fear
One of your most important contributions, besides good personal health habits, is combating misinformation and addressing bias. Stigma hurts everyone by creating more fear or anger towards ordinary people instead of the disease that is causing the problem. Please observe our first rule: Be Kind.
For those addressing questions, fear, or concern from your students and others, here are some resources:
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus (NPR)
- Advice for the public (World Health Organization) - see section on “How to Cope With Stress…”
- How do I ease my kid's anxiety about Coronavirus? (Dr. Sheryl Ziegler)
- Speaking of Psychology: Coronavirus Anxiety (APA)
- Coronavirus Student Guide (PBS)
Spring Break Travel
Because Aspen Academy takes seriously its responsibility to protect the health and safety of all students, families who are traveling to China, Iran, Italy, Japan, and South Korea or other areas designated as Level 2,3, or 4 risk as assigned by the CDC or the U.S. Department of State are asked to notify the Head of School (firstname.lastname@example.org). Additionally, anyone who believes they may have been exposed should contact their doctor or CDPHE at 303-692-3700 or after hours, 303-370-9395.
No School March 20, 2020
As a reminder, there will be no school on Friday, March 20th as we will have training to test implementation of virtual learning with our faculty. We regret an inconvenience this may cause. If you'd like to be considered for our waitlist for Extended Care for that day, please complete this form.
Head of School